Ampcontrol’s contribution to the largest road and tunnel project in Australia, the Brisbane Airport Link, further cements our expertise as a provider of total electrical packages in the expanding tunnelling market.
The Brisbane Airport Link project is 6.7km in length and includes dual tunnels located at a depth of between 40 to 50 metres underground.
The project provided various challenges due to the complex design including multi-levels for various transport requirements as well as constantly changing dynamics due to ground conditions and customer requirements. As Ampcontrol can provide modular tunnelling electrical equipment and systems, modifications were managed to meet required changes.
The Brisbane Airport Link project demonstrates the versatility and spectrum of electrical power products we supply. By combining existing equipment from Ampcontrol’s hire fleet and locally manufacturing customised equipment our team were able to meet the tight deadlines of the constantly evolving project.
According to David Hake, Construction Manager TBM Drives, Thiess John Holland, “Ampcontrol provided reliable equipment to the TBM drives and prompt support when we needed it to minimise any delays.”
The equipment supplied included:
- 16 x roadheader packages each consisting of: 11kV/1000V 1500kVA substation, 1000V 8 outlet DCB, 400m 425A 1000V trailing cable and 500m 150A 1000V trailing cable
- 11 x 11kV/1000V 700kVA tunnel lining works substations
- 3 x 11kV underground RMU switchboards for 11kV tunnel distribution
- 33kV site circuit breaker complete with metering CTs and VTs along with
- 11kV site circuit breakers11kV and 22kV mobile switchrooms
- 2 x 10MVA 33kV/11kV transformers
- 20MVA 11kV/22kV step-up transformer
- 8 x 11kV/415V containerised surface substations in various sizes
- Over 3000 metres of 11kV XLPE/SWA 50mm2 cables complete with 800A couplers and connecting pins
- 10,000 metres of 12.7kV/22kV XLPE/SWA 95mm cables complete with 22kV couplers and pilots
The equipment supplied was fully supported by Ampcontrol’s engineering services which included complete electrical distribution system design, ongoing HV load flow and protection studies, along with commissioning of equipment onsite to ensure correct operation and minimal down time for the project.